Archbishop Cushley has written to clergy today (Wednesday 24 January) to inform them of the forthcoming changes in the Archdiocese.
The following changes take effect in June 2024:
- The Very Reverend Jeremy MILNE will become Moderator of the Curia, replacing Msgr Patrick Burke.
- The Very Reverend Scott DEELEY will become Chair of the Trustees of the Archdiocese, replacing Msgr Patrick Burke.
- The Reverend Robert TAYLOR will become Chancellor of the Archdiocese, replacing Fr Scott Deeley.
The following changes take place with immediate effect:
- The Very Reverend Basil CLARK has been appointed Vicar Episcopal for Ecumenism & Interfaith Dialogue, replacing Canon Jeremy Bath.
- The Reverend Kenneth Canon OWENS has been appointed Vicar Episcopal for International Clergy, a newly created role to help support international clergy ministering in the Archdiocese.
Please note: Msgr Burke will remain Vicar General and a Trustee of the Archdiocese. Fr Milne will remain Vicar Episcopal for Marriage & Family life.
Archbishop Cushley expressed thanks to all those who take on roles over and above their parochial duties for the good of the Archdiocese.
We can also announce that Dr Elspeth Atkinson will retire from the post of Chief Operating Officer (CEO) in June. Archbishop Cushley has thanked her for the professionalism and expertise she brought to the role in her seven years at the Archdiocese. A new CEO will be appointed in due course.
Guide to roles
What is the role of Moderator of the Curia?
The Moderator of the Curia coordinates the exercise of the administrative duties and oversees those who hold offices and minister in diocesan administration.
What is the role of Chancellor?
The chancery is the administrative branch of the Archdiocese. Under the guidance of the Chancellor it handles the official documents pertaining to the ecclesiastical affairs of the Archdiocese.
What is the role of Chair of the Trustees?
Trustees are the people in overall control and management of the Archdiocese. They are responsible for the charity's governance and strategy, and for making sure that the charity is administered effectively.
What is the role of Vicar Episcopal of Ecumenism & Interfaith Dialogue?
He leads the Office for Ecumenism and Interfaith Dialogue. Its responsibilities include developing relations with other Christian denominations and faith groups and promoting ecumenical events.
What is the role of Vicar Episcopal for International Clergy?
To support the international clergy working in the Archdiocese.
What is the role of Chief Operating Officer?
Under the management of the Moderator of the Curia, the Chief Operating Officer manages all the employees of the Curia. They report to the Trustees and supports them in their work of running the Archdiocese.