Here's the Children's Liturgy at home guide for Sunday.
- 23 August 2020, 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A. Click here to view.
Today we learn how Jesus left the disciple Peter in charge of the Church on Earth (Matthew 16:13-20).
In the Gospel Jesus asks the disciples who people said he was. How did they respond to him? Some said people thought he was a prophet or John the Baptist!
Jesus the asked them: “Who do you say I am?” Peter responded by saying “You are the Son of God.” Jesus told Peter that he was blessed as God had made this known to him and because of this Jesus told Peter that he was to lead the Church on Earth.
St Peter facts
- Peter and his brother Andrew were among the first to be chosen by Jesus to be his close followers.
- Peter is traditionally considered to be the head of Jesus’ 12 Apostles.
- Peter’s original name was Simon, Peter being a name given to him by Jesus.
- Jesus gave Peter the added name of Cephas, meaning “rock.”
- Peter was the first bishop of Rome.
- St Peter is the patron saint of Popes, Rome, fishermen, and locksmiths.