Bishop Brian McGee of Argyll and the Isles will lead the Scottish Delegation to the Continental Synodal Assembly in Prague this weekend.
- Fr Gerard Maguiness, General Secretary of the Bishops' Conference.
- Sr Anna Marie McGuan RSM of St Andrews & Edinburgh Archdiocese.
- Mrs June Clunie from Paisley Diocese.
In addition there will be nine other online participants from Scotland, representing every diocese in the country.
Archbishop Cushley will attend as president of the Family and Life Commission of the Council of Bishops’ Conferences of Europe (CCEE).
He said: "I'm looking forward to contributing to a fruitful and constructive gathering as we build upon the Holy Father's vision of communion, participation and mission."
The Synodality group of the Bishops' Conference of Scotland has consulted with every diocese and all parties/individuals who made a submission to the National Synodal process last year. Its final synthesis can be read here.
The continental stage of the Synod is organised by the Council of European Bishops' Conferences, in collaboration with the Czech Bishops' Conference and the Archdiocese of Prague. It will last from 5 - 12th February 2023 and will be held in two parts:
- 5-9 FEB: The participation of 200 delegates from 5 to 9 February.
- 9-12 FEB: The participation of 39 Bishops' Conference presidents, or their delegates in Europe, from 9 to 12 February
- 156 delegates from the Bishops' Conferences: each national delegation will be composed of the President of the Bishops' Conference and 3 other delegates;
- 44 guests have been invited directly by The Council of Bishops’ Conferences of Europe Presidency, as representatives of the most representative "ecclesial realities" at European level.
- 390 delegates will also participate remotely (online) at the Assembly (10 for each Bishops' Conference).
- Continental: To find out more about the Continental Stage of the Synod click here.
- Scotland: The final synthesis of the Synodal Process in Scotland can be read here.
- Archdiocese: The Archdiocesan Synod report can be read here.
Please pray for the success of the Continental Stage which gathers together the contributions of the Church in each European country.
They have prayed and talked together, having reached out to those who feel marginalised in the Church and society today, and having invited participation from other Churches and Faith communities and anyone moved by the promptings of the Holy Spirit.
Join Archbishop Cushley on Sunday 12 Feb, the final day of the Continental Synodal Assembly for a Holy Hour with Eucharistic Adoration at St Margaret's Chapel, The Gillis Centre, 100 Strathearn Road, Edinburgh, EH9 1BB.